Habitat: Thick brush and woodlands
Weight: 275 lbs
Max Lifespan: 11 years
Number of Young: 1
Gestation Period: 9 1/2 months
Conservation Status: Least Concern
- Males and females have a white chevron between their eyes.
- Male nyala have 55 chromosomes while females have 56 chromosomes.
- If not in thick cover they become nocturnal.
- Nyala have 10-14 vertical, parallel, white stripes on their flanks.
- The name Nyala is the Swahili name for this antelope, which iteself comes from the Zulu word, "Inyala".