Habitat: Savannas, grasslands, and sub-desert steppes
Height: 35" to 47"
Weight: 77-165 lbs
Max Lifespan: 10-12 years
Gestation Period: 6 1/2 months
Number of Young: 1
Horns: Males and Females
Conservation Status: Critically Endangered
- Largest type of gazelle.
- Have long legs which provide extra surface area on their bodies to dissipate heat and help them stay cool in the hot desert.
- A few days following birth, dama young are strong enough to follow the herd, and after a week, they are able to run as fast as the adults.
- Alert herd members of danger by pronking, which involves hopping up and down with all four legs stiff.
- Males and females have curved, ringed horns.
- Stand on their hind legs to eat from acacia trees and other plants as high as six feet from the ground.