Habitat: Worldwide domestication
Height: 24-30 inches
Weight: 120-240 lbs
Av. Lifespan: 20 years
Gestation Period: 116 days
Number of Young: 6 to 8, up to 12
Conservation Status: Domesticated
• Originally developed by New Zealanders.
• Kunekune means “fat and round” in Maori.
• The are grazers, not foragers like most pigs, and can survive on a diet of mostly grass.
• Known to be intelligent, resourceful, and affectionate.
• Considered a unique and distinct domestic pig, and classified as a rare breed.
• Nearly extinct by the 1970’s - brought back through captive breeding programs.
• Prior to 1995, there were no Kunkune pigs in America.