[Ailurus fulgens fulgens]
Habitat: Mountainous mixed deciduous and conifer forests
Weight: 7-14 lbs
Max Lifespan: 8-10 years
Gestation Period: 112-158 days
Number of Young: 1-4
Conservation Status: Endangered
- Also known as the lesser panda or red cat-bear.
- Scientific name means “fire-colored cat”.
- Has a “false thumb” that is an extension of the wrist bone.
- When descending a tree head-first, the red panda rotates its ankle to control its descent.
- Before giving birth, females build a nest usually in a hollow tree or rock crevice.
Western Red Panda Coloring Sheet