Habitat: Worldwide domestication
Weight: 120-220 lbs
Number of Young: 2-3
Conservation Status: Least Concern
- The Southdown was developed by John Ellman in Sussex beginning in 1780.
- By 1945, the breed was nearly extinct due to consumer demand for larger cuts of meat.
- Robert Mock began a search for miniature sheep in 1986 and found 2 small flocks of Southdowns.
- Mr. Mock named them Olde English “Babydolls” to distinguish them from today’s larger Southdowns.
- “Babydoll” fleece has more barbs per inch than any other wool type making it an ideal blend with Angora rabbit or Angora goat.
Babydoll Sheep Coloring Page